(043) 831 1015      komgajuniorschool@gmail.com  

   HOME PAGE    SCHOOL INFO    ACTIVITIES    NEWS & EVENTS    GALLERY    CONTACT US

  
 

 
 
 

The Komga Junior School is committed to creating opportunities for every pupil to develop to the full: mentally, physically and spiritually. In an atmosphere of common purpose we strive to foster initiative, individuality and integrity and to cultivate a creative approach to life’s challenge, so that our pupils will make a meaningful contribution to the community.

Staff Calendar Application Forms Code of Conduct School Uniform School Fees
      Info to follow... Info to follow... Info to follow...


 

More about the School

      An abridged history of Komga Junior
      School Badge
      School Song

________________________________________________________________

An abridged history of Komga Junior
[Return to top]

Mr Campbell, a lawyer from Scotland and Rev McCormick, the Anglican minister in Komga, set about forming our school. It started as the Victoria Public School which was built in 1883, on the corner of Fountain and O’Connell Streets. (Prior to this, Rev McCormick taught children in his house from as early as 1869.) It consisted of one large room with an entrance porch and a room on each side. These were the principal’s office and a store room. This building is now the Roman Catholic Church.

When Rev McCormick was transferred to Johannesburg in 1896, Mr Davidson was appointed principal with one assistant teacher. By 1903 there were 62 children on the roll. Mr Davidson served the school to the end of 1904 and Mr Rankin was then appointed to the post. At this stage there were 65 pupils, two teachers and three student teachers.

In 1907 Mr Williamson was the appointed principal and there were 93 children at the school. At this time the sub-standards (Sub A and B) were left to student teachers.

When the school premises became too small, the present site was donated by the local municipality. Komga Public School was opened in 1911. It consisted of a U-shaped building, the front forming the centre of the U. The new school made provision for all classes up to and including Std. 7 and also trained student teachers. The old Victoria School building was used for woodwork classes and as a school hall for concerts. Later it served as a dormitory for country boys, who boarded with the principal and his wife.

In 1918 the Komga Public School was used as a hospital during the influenza epidemic. After World War One the school hall was built as a war memorial from funds raised by the children and donations from the people of Komga. It was completed in 1925.

Mr Cook was principal of the school from 1934 to 1949. The number of pupils had grown and the children were divided into three houses, named after the previous principals - McCormick, Davidson and Williamson. Pupils wrote the Junior Certificate Examination on completion of Std. 8.

Mr Pretorius succeeded Mr Cook in 1950. During his time a kitchen was built adjacent to the hall, which was later converted into a music room. Plans were drawn up and submitted for a school hostel. The hostel was opened in 1961 and named after Mr Joppie Pretorius.

At the beginning of 1962 extensions were added to the school namely: a woodwork room, music room, staff room, toilets, strong room, office and two classrooms. These were built on the north side of the school.

Mr Rossouw became headmaster in 1963. Music and typing were introduced.

Mr Dugmore succeeded Mr Rossouw in 1964. He started a school magazine and introduced a school song. The netball field and two tennis courts were built between the hostel and the school building. Merit badges were introduced.

Mr Heath became headmaster in 1969. There were 240 pupils on the roll at that stage. A new school badge was designed. During the year 1971 the athletics track was levelled.

Mr Algie commenced duty as headmaster in 1973. At the end of that year the Std 8 level was abolished. In 1974 the headmaster moved into the new school house in Fountain Street.

In 1977 Mr Barrowman took up duty as headmaster. A plain bottle green blazer replaced the old striped blazers. In 1978 additions to the school were completed. They included four prefab classrooms and a store, principal’s office, sick room, apparatus room, improved staff room and a new library.

The merit system was adapted in 1987 with the introduction of the Ad Astra badge. Only 10 of these badges are awarded each year to the best all-round pupil from

Std. 2 to Std. 7. The land above the hostel was levelled for a rugby field. Komga Round Table built two change rooms at the field. In 1990 there were 212 pupils at the school.

1991 was the end of an era in the history of the school. In December the school ceased to be a Secondary school and it was given the name Komga Junior School. Mr de Beer was appointed headmaster. The school became a Model C school. Pupils from all races could now be admitted to the school. There were now approximately 235 pupils in the school.

Mr Noble was appointed principal in 2002. The long awaited the swimming pool was completed in 2004.During Mr Noble’s time, the school was re-arranged: the entrance of the school was changed to the front, the car park was tarred and a pre-fab building was erected for a Grade R and Gr. 3 class.

In 2013 Mr Pike was appointed as Headmaster. There were 256 pupils at the school. Two new pre-fab buildings were erected for an extra grade 2 class and for a Grade RR class; a new ablution facility was erected to cater for the Foundation Phase and attached to this were two storerooms. The stands next to the swimming pool were built in 2016.

History was made in 2018, when Mrs Malherbe was appointed as the first female principal of Komga Junior School. Under her guidance, five new classrooms are replacing the pre-fabs for the Foundation Phase. We hope to have them completed before the end of the year. At present the total number of pupils is 278.

________________________________________________________________

School Badge
[Return to top]

The swords represent the battles fought during our past, these include incidents such as Moordenaar’s Kop and the Battle of Draaibosch. The embattled line symbolizes the forts of this area, each of the four blocks standing for a fort. The forts were Fort Warden, Fort Warrick, Fort Linsingen and the Anglican Church. The aloe is recognised as the floral emblem of the border area. The green of the lower part is one of the school colours reminds us of the beautiful countryside around Komga. The stars symbolise perfection and highest good. The laurel wreath and the quill represents position, suggesting that the pen is mightier than the sword.

The motto ‘Sic itur ad astra’ means this is the way to the stars.

________________________________________________________________

School Song
[Return to top]

The words of the school song were written by Mr Dugmore and his mother, Iris Dugmore. The music was composed by Tom Marnitz, a family friend of Mr Dugmore’s parents. Mrs de Villiers translated the words into Afrikaans. Mrs Gudzman wrote the words for the chorus. Mrs Rensburg was the music teacher at Komga and she introduced the pupils to the new song.

Sing loud and clear to the school we hold dear
And the many who’ve been here before us.
Of Komga we are proud and we’ll shout it aloud
To make sure that others can hear us.
Bilingual we are, yet you’d have to go far
To find friendship so firmly cemented.
To do what is right together we we’ll fight
To keep our name and defend it!

Chorus

Gaudeamus, Gaudeamus! Let us rejoice.
Let us sing to our school with one voice.
May solid foundations so faithfully laid.
In days yet ahead never perish or fade.

Sing helder en luid en dan bulder dit uit
Ons is lief vir ons skool in die ooste.
Vir Komga se eer en lof sal ons leer
Ideale te hou van die hoogste
Ons bande van vriendskap word hegter gesmee
Op ons tweetaligheid se aambeelde.
So saam sal ons staan om ons goeie ou naam
Te versier met skolastiese weelde.

Chorus

Gaudeamus! Gaudeamus! Laat ons ons verheug
Laat ons sing vir ons skool in ons jeug.
Mag grondslag met trou en geloof nou gebou
En toekoms nooit omkom, verbleek or verflou!

 

 

 

(043) 831 1015 / 083 652 9265

073 486 1945

komgajuniorschool@gmail.com

principalatkomgajuniorschool@gmail.com

Main Road, Komga, 4950



 Curriculum Assessment Policy Statement

 
© 2022    Komga Junior School    |    Website by 123 Internet